Amanda-Users

Re: more with Amanda and Sun L9

2007-09-17 07:08:59
Subject: Re: more with Amanda and Sun L9
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 07:07:16 -0400

Craig Dewick wrote:

I've had another go at this today by shifting the entire Amanda host setup to a different machine (Sun Ultra 2) and recompiling mtx and amanda from source. I'm using the same sort of Sbus Qlogic differential SCSI card to communicate with the L9 array that I had in the previous host system.

After figuring our the right config for the 'sgen' driver, I changed the amanda.conf file to show the device name for the changer (it's been detected as /dev/scsi/sequential/c1t1d0).

I have all the directories that Amanda needs created and chowned to be owned by amanda with group 'sys' and I also changed all the /dev/rmt nodes along with /dev/scsi/sequential/c1t1d0 to be owned by amanda with group 'sys'.

However when I rum 'amcheck' I still get the:

Changer problem: no slots available

error message that occured with the previous host system. Running 'amtape ORBnet update' produces the same thing.

If I replace 'tapelist' with a blank file, same result.

I'm also starting to think the problem is the array itself but I am sure others are using L9's with Amanda without any problems, even connected to a Sun box for the host.

Can anyone think of anything else I should be checking?

Running 'mtx -f /dev/scsi/sequential/c1t1d0 inquiry' reports the DLT drive type, etc. as expected.

Just a possible note on this.

When I configured my AIT5 library, I configured the tape drive with st.conf and the library with sgen.conf. I ended up getting the tape as /dev/rmt/1 and the library as /dev/scsi/changer/something. In the process of setting it up, I did everything one step at a time. I first just played with the front panel of the library to load a tape and mt and ufsdump to do things with the tape. Then I installed mtx and configured it and spent some time playing with that to see that I could move tapes around and load them and unload them. Finally, I configured chg-zd-mtx and amanda to use the tape drive and changer. Then I played a bit with amtape and amlabel to see that I could set the current slot, check the tape in the current slot, label it and so on. Only after that did I set up a tape rotation and launch amdump. That process kept it from being too complicated.

The question I would have on your setup is whether your changer presents itself as 2 different devices and needs to be set up this way (using both st.conf and sgen.conf). I never had to mess with ownership of anything in /dev.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center