Amanda-Users

Re: more with Amanda and Sun L9

2007-09-17 10:49:53
Subject: Re: more with Amanda and Sun L9
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 10:47:45 -0400
If it helps, I am running mtx 1.2.17rel and modified the
/usr/local/libexec script, not certain if I completely replaced
with with another version - but I know that I did replace the
shell call on the first like and now invoke /bin/sh rather than ksh.

Yes, I replaced the original script with one retrieve after discussion
with Peter Stokes (he provided the following URL). but I do not know the
version of the script, I further changed the script by replacing the
shell call on the first line.

Notes are from April 2003, the URL is
   http://www.ashlyn.co.uk/downloads/chg-zd-mtx

If the script looks to be your problem and the link is bad I
can email the script I use. It is about 2x the size of the script
that had come with MTX 1.2.17rel.

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 09:38:31AM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:

> [...]
> > >with group 'sys'.
> > >
> > >However when I rum 'amcheck' I still get the:
> > >
> > >Changer problem: no slots available
> > >
> > >error message that occured with the previous host system. Running
> > >'amtape ORBnet update' produces the same thing.
> > >
> > >If I replace 'tapelist' with a blank file, same result.
> > >
> > >I'm also starting to think the problem is the array itself but I am
> > >sure others are using L9's with Amanda without any problems, even
> > >connected to a Sun box for the host.
> > >
> > >Can anyone think of anything else I should be checking?
> > >
> > >Running 'mtx -f /dev/scsi/sequential/c1t1d0 inquiry' reports the DLT
> > >drive type, etc. as expected.
> >
> > Just a possible note on this.
> >
> > When I configured my AIT5 library, I configured the tape drive with
> > st.conf and the library with sgen.conf. I ended up getting the tape as
> > /dev/rmt/1 and the library as /dev/scsi/changer/something. In the
> > process of setting it up, I did everything one step at a time. I first
> > just played with the front panel of the library to load a tape and mt
> > and ufsdump to do things with the tape. Then I installed mtx and
> > configured it and spent some time playing with that to see that I could
> > move tapes around and load them and unload them. Finally, I configured
> > chg-zd-mtx and amanda to use the tape drive and changer. Then I played a
> > bit with amtape and amlabel to see that I could set the current slot,
> > check the tape in the current slot, label it and so on. Only after that
> > did I set up a tape rotation and launch amdump. That process kept it
> > from being too complicated.
> >
> > The question I would have on your setup is whether your changer presents
> > itself as 2 different devices and needs to be set up this way (using
> > both st.conf and sgen.conf). I never had to mess with ownership of
> > anything in /dev.
> >

> > ---------------
> >
> > Chris Hoogendyk
> >
> > -
> >   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
> >  c/ /'_ --- Biology & Geology Departments
> > (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center
> > ~~~~~~~~~~ - University of Massachusetts, Amherst
> >
> > <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
> >
> > ---------------
> >
> > Erd�s 4
> >

> ---
>    Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org
>    Computer Systems Support        (v) 518 486-1697
>    Wadsworth Center                (f) 518 473-6384
>    NYS Department of Health        Help Desk 518 473-0773
>

> IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
> confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
> privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
> is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
> from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
> distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
> sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your

---