Amanda-Users

RE: newbie ? - tapeless operation -> amlabel error

2007-05-29 16:58:08
Subject: RE: newbie ? - tapeless operation -> amlabel error
From: "Robert Echlin" <rechlin AT espial DOT com>
To: "Jeanna Geier" <jeanna AT webteam DOT net>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 15:49:05 -0400

Hi, Jeanna,

The setting I mentioned, pointing tapedev at the "slots" directory on disk, is what I use for writing to virtual tapes, i.e. writing to disk. Did you notice that the HOWTO you are using is dated Nov 2001? A lot has changed since then. Try the HOWTO in the wiki at:
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Test_environment_with_virtual_tapes

I also referred to other pages on the wiki:
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/File_driver
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Changers

And when I was creating many slots this afternoon, I recorded the following notes (copied from the wiki I use internally at work). Lots of this is specific to my configuration, like the user names. Note that the phrase `seq 1 50` and similar are enclosed in back-quotes and all of this was done in the bash shell:

Mount the new disk on /mnt/Amanda/Set2 where 2 is the number for the backup disk, could be 3 for instance

  • As root, create vtapes folder on the backup disk, set owner amandabackup user, group disk, not readable or executable by "other"

    1. mkdir vtapes

    2. chown amandabackup:disk vtapes

    3. chmod 750 vtapes

  • Change to the amandabackup user.

  • Create a DailySet2 folder inside vtapes

  • Create slots inside vtapes/DailySet2

    • for i in `seq 1 50`; do mkdir slot$i; done

  • Put it "online" by creating the required data symlink

    • ln -s slot1 data

  • Check it - this command should return ONLINE

    • ammt -f file:/mnt/Amanda/Set2/vtapes/DailySet2/slots/ status

  • Label the tapes - the changer must be "online" first

    • for i in `seq 1 9`; do amlabel DailySet2 DailySet2-0${i}; done

    • for i in `seq 10 50`; do amlabel DailySet2 DailySet2-${i}; done

  • Check it's OK

    • amcheck DailySet2

  • Rob