Amanda-Users

Re: newbie ? - tapeless operation -> amlabel error

2007-05-29 16:45:30
Subject: Re: newbie ? - tapeless operation -> amlabel error
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 21:57:02 +0200
Jeanna Geier schrieb:
> Hello- Thank you for the reply.
>
> "Are you *sure* you want your vtapes in /usr/src/amanda ?"
> No - I'm not sure of anything for sure, I'm just trying to
> get this running! =)  But, have not been successful!

Jeanna,

storing backups in /usr/src isn't compliant to the way of doing things.
/usr/src is for source-text, like the linux kernel, but not for backups.

But this is not your primary problem in setting up amanda.

> I started with that HOWTO
> (http://www.amanda.org/docs/howto-filedriver.html), and was
> told that for testing, they wanted it to write to the
> harddisk vs. tapes, so I found the other link; how do I
> know what to parameters to change exactly?

Simple answer (simple for me): Follow the HOWTO exactly.

Longer answer (A bit simpler for you):

You didn't follow the HOWTO.

For example:

tpchanger "/usr/src/amanda/etc/amanda/DailySet3/chg.disk"

should be more like

tpchanger "chg-disk"

Your config points to *something* but does not configure amanda
correctly. No need for paths here. This parameter chooses a script
inside amanda's own directories, not inside a slot of your virtual changer.

--

Just read and follow the HOWTO from start, again.
It has worked for quite a lot of people so far.

I'll be happy to improve it when necessary, but I think you didn't read
it in detail.

Also think about your paths.

It is important for you and your backups (*and restores*) to understand
what you do and why you do things.

--

And Rob has provided lots of infos in the meantime as well ;)

Stefan

--
Stefan G. Weichinger
amanda core team member