Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda - unable to create temporary directory

2007-05-29 08:43:59
Subject: Re: Amanda - unable to create temporary directory
From: Benjamin Lewis <bhlewis AT purdue DOT edu>
To: Peter Kunst <peter.kunst AT swissrisk DOT com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 08:36:38 -0400
Peter Kunst wrote:

> I have one Solaris9 client with the same issues here:
>
> ? Unable to create temporary directory in any of the directories listed
> below:
> ?     /tmp/
> ?     /var/tmp/
> ?     /
>
> when using ufsdump. When switching this client (one DLE only) from ufsdump
> to gtar, this message disappears.
>
> The strange thing about this client is, even if amstatus tells me it's a
> level 1, it does a level 0 (~50GB every day). Regardless if using ufsdump
> or gtar. And yes, this box is synced using ntp, living in the correct
> century :o)
>
> ufsdump is suid root, /tmp, /var/tmp and / have the correct permissions.

I think these are symptoms of trying to use ufsdump on a sub-directory
that is not a mountpoint.  ufsdump can do that, but will only do level 0
dumps and will complain about it.  Here's a very recent example:

/--  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx /var/log lev 2 STRANGE
*** sendbackup: start [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/var/log level 2]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=/usr/sbin/ufsdump
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/sbin/ufsrestore -f... -
sendbackup: info end
? Unable to create temporary directory in any of the directories listed
below:
?       /tmp/
?       /var/tmp/
?       /
? Please correct this problem and rerun the program.
|   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Mon May 28 12:19:34 2007
|   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
*** |   DUMP: Dumping /dev/md/rdsk/d11 (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/var) to
standard output.
|   DUMP: Mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
|   DUMP: Mapping (Pass II) [directories]
|   DUMP: Writing 32 Kilobyte records
|   DUMP: Estimated 389356 blocks (190.12MB) on 0.00 tapes.
|   DUMP: Dumping (Pass III) [directories]
|   DUMP: Dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
|   DUMP: 389310 blocks (190.09MB) on 1 volume at 5749 KB/sec
|   DUMP: DUMP IS DONE
sendbackup: size 194655
sendbackup: end
\--------

I prefixed the critical lines with "***".  Notice how the message from
ufsdump says that it's dumping /var at level 0 but Amanda asked for
/var/log at level 2.

% df /var/log | awk '{print $1}'
/var

-Ben

--
Benjamin Lewis, CISSP <bhlewis AT purdue DOT edu>
Security Analyst, Identity and Access Management