Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda - unable to create temporary directory

2007-05-25 18:42:01
Subject: Re: Amanda - unable to create temporary directory
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 17:40:00 -0500
On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 05:47:33PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> ISTR, from your original message, that the "Strange" message said
> unable to create temporary directory under, /tmp, /var/tmp, and /.
> I don't recall it saying anything about /tmp/amanda.  I don't
> understand why you are fixed on that particular directory.

That was confusing me too :)

To clarify, ufsdump is prbably trying to create temporary files on its
own (who knows why, but lots of programs do it!).  Because of some
permissions problem, it is unable to create those files.  Likely causes:
 - bad permissions on /tmp, /var/tmp, and /
 - ufsdump not running as the correct user
 - selinux or other kernel-based security mechanisms
As Jon said, the problem is on the Amanda client, not on the server.

Dustin

--
        Dustin J. Mitchell
        Storage Software Engineer, Zmanda, Inc.