Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda - unable to create temporary directory

2007-05-25 18:02:35
Subject: Re: Amanda - unable to create temporary directory
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 17:47:33 -0400
On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 03:33:34PM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:

> Jon,
>
> I'm confused, apparently not parsing this correctly.
>
> I believe you are saying that using strings you confirmed that
> the message is generated from ufsdump, but that you would not
> expect ufsdump to create /tmp/amanda, you would have expected
> that from an amanda binary.
>
> Is this a request to ufsdump by an amanda program to create the
> /tmp/amanda directory, so an interaction between the two ? While
> I only see this message in amdump output from amanda 2.4.4 it
> just occured to me that I need a better look to confirm the issue
> as a client or a server located DLE and that I need to check those
> systems' OS versions.
>
> The short question though is "Is there a ready fix" ?
>
> > I said the message came from ufsdump based on checking with strings
> > to see in which binary it was located.  It is in ufsdump, not one
> > of the amanda programs.  I would not expect ufsdump to try to create
> > /tmp/amanda.  That would be done by one of the amanda binaries.

ISTR, from your original message, that the "Strange" message said
unable to create temporary directory under, /tmp, /var/tmp, and /.
I don't recall it saying anything about /tmp/amanda.  I don't
understand why you are fixed on that particular directory.

In the report, what is put under the "Strange" section are messages
that were unexpected, i.e. no info is built into amanda to deal
with those particular messages.

Again recalling the original message, you said you checked the
server and found nothing wrong.  But ufsdump does not run on
the server, it runs on the client.  And as it is suid root on
Solaris, it runs with effective root priviliges though real
amanda user id.

As to a ready fix, I might be able to tell you that if you can
tell me why ufsdump is complaining    ;)

If you become certain the message is innocuous, it can be added
to the RE list of "normal" messages in sendbackup-dump.c.
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)