Amanda-Users

Re: Hardware suggestion

2007-05-10 22:42:29
Subject: Re: Hardware suggestion
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Olivier Nicole <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 09:35:13 +0200 (CEST)
On Fri, 11 May 2007, Olivier Nicole wrote:
> > > Normal hot swap bay for hard
> > >disk are not designed for daily use, they are designed for
> > maintenance
> > >only, and would break soon if I swaped the disk every day.
> >
> > You might want to try some (external) eSata devices. The connectors
> > seem more reliable than the internal ones - and probably are cheap to
> > replace...
>
> I was going through the reports of various amanda run, my actual tape
> is reported to give about 5MB/s, so any USB2 interface would be plenty
> enough.

I assume you're not using a holding disk?

> What aveage tap write rate do you see in your reports (in the
> statistics)?
>
> I get about 5000 k/s for SLR100 taep drive.

I'm not using a holding disk neither, and vtapes on the (single) SATA disk of
my server (yes, I do copy my vtapes to a removable disk from time to
time ;-), and I get up to 15 MiB/s for level zeroes.

So for a big server with a holding disk and vtapes, you can use much
more than a bandwidth of 5 MB/s.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds