Amanda-Users

Re: Hardware suggestion

2007-05-10 18:54:50
Subject: Re: Hardware suggestion
From: Olivier Nicole <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 09:00:07 +0700 (ICT)
Hi,

> > Normal hot swap bay for hard
> >disk are not designed for daily use, they are designed for
> maintenance
> >only, and would break soon if I swaped the disk every day.
>
> You might want to try some (external) eSata devices. The connectors
> seem more reliable than the internal ones - and probably are cheap to
> replace...

I was going through the reports of various amanda run, my actual tape
is reported to give about 5MB/s, so any USB2 interface would be plenty
enough.

People with huge Amanda experience, please correct me if I am wrong.

It seems to me that most ofthe time is taken by the dump process, and
as soon as a dump is finished, a taping takes place, in parallel with
other dump continuing. So the speed of the (v)tape only matters when
the last dump finishes and there is no more parallelism, just
taping. At same time, Amanda can be configured to make the big dumps
first, so what is left at the end should be minimal and take almost no
time.

We are talking batch processing here, so that the last taping takes 5
minutes or 20 minutes is of very little concerns.

What aveage tap write rate do you see in your reports (in the
statistics)?

I get about 5000 k/s for SLR100 taep drive.

bests,

olivier