Amanda-Users

Re: Slow client

2007-05-10 20:26:23
Subject: Re: Slow client
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Olivier Nicole <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 01:49:58 -0500
Olivier Nicole wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed yesterday that one of my clients suddenly became very slow:
>
> by wall clock, seeing the file grows on the holding disk, it takes 9
> minutes for 5 MB of GNUTAR level 2. previous run (Apr. 28th) for the
> same machine, same DLE, same level was 107 KB/s for the dump according
> to Amanda report.

That works out to about 9kB/s, which is pretty slow.
Do you have a duplex mismatch or other errors on the network interface
or switch port?
Are you seeing any system messages about read errors on your disks?
Have you recently changed OS/kernel/tar versions?
What does the Amanda report show for dumper time and taper time for
the DLE?

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673