Amanda-Users

missing function in amanda?

2007-03-18 20:22:40
Subject: missing function in amanda?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 20:15:30 -0400
Greetings;

In my troubleshooting of the 2.6.21-rc* vs tar thinking the whole system
is new, where it works normally for any kernel up to 2.6.20.3. I find I'm
in need of an amestimate command, to have amdump survey the system and
report how much data (before compression obviously) that a dump would
generate, but without doing anything to the install other than what it
would normally do if it went all the way through the estimate phase plus
its scheduling calculations, reporting the results and then exiting
without actually doing anything.

The man pages don't seem to indicate we have such a utility.  It there  a
way to do this that is not obvious from the manpages?

If we had such a tool, I could run an estimate phase in advance of the
regular run and be in a position to reboot to the older kernel ahead of
time instead of totally screwing with the amanda database.

Thanks all.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Too much of anything, even love, isn't necessarily a good thing.
                -- Kirk, "The Trouble with Tribbles", stardate 4525.6