Amanda-Users

Re: Detecting shoe shining with modern libraries?

2007-03-08 17:31:29
Subject: Re: Detecting shoe shining with modern libraries?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 16:57:51 -0500
On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 12:35:54PM -0700, Michael Loftis wrote:
> New drives are really quiet.  Not to mention some new libraries (like our
> Spectra T50) bury the drives in the middle of the library so you can't
> really hear the mechanism working like you can older libraries with louder
> drives.  Desktop units you can still pretty readily listen to and tell when
> they're shoe-shining, but as far as libraries go, does anyone do anything
> other than just do their best to listen?  That's what I've done
> for...well...ever but I'm beginning to wonder if there's a better way.

Does your drive have an activity light.  When I first put in my LTO-1,
the card was really old and gave low rates.  A newer card more than
doubled it.  Another difference was the activity light.  It is on
nearly solid now, it was on/off/on/off on the old slower scsi card.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)