Amanda-Users

Re: Detecting shoe shining with modern libraries?

2007-03-10 14:28:37
Subject: Re: Detecting shoe shining with modern libraries?
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar AT cs.earlham DOT edu>
To: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 10:45:02 -0800
Michael Loftis wrote:
> Buried in the library.  Can't view the drives at all with any of the
> Spectra libraries.  The T50 if you open it, and remove a storage
> cartridge you can kinda see the drives but they're pretty obscured by
> the loader mechanism.

Our Spectra T950 has a drive performance monitor. For LTO drives I think
anything below the slowest stream rate (40MB/s for LTO3) is going to be
shoe-shining to some extent. If your library doesn't have a performance
monitor, you might be able to estimate the data transfer on the server
with something like iostat.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar AT cs.earlham DOT edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/