Amanda-Users

Re: Detecting shoe shining with modern libraries?

2007-03-10 14:23:20
Subject: Re: Detecting shoe shining with modern libraries?
From: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 12:12:53 -0700

--On March 10, 2007 10:45:02 AM -0800 Skylar Thompson <skylar AT cs.earlham DOT edu> wrote:

Michael Loftis wrote:
Buried in the library.  Can't view the drives at all with any of the
Spectra libraries.  The T50 if you open it, and remove a storage
cartridge you can kinda see the drives but they're pretty obscured by
the loader mechanism.

Our Spectra T950 has a drive performance monitor. For LTO drives I think
anything below the slowest stream rate (40MB/s for LTO3) is going to be
shoe-shining to some extent. If your library doesn't have a performance
monitor, you might be able to estimate the data transfer on the server
with something like iostat.

iostat doesn't work for tape devices under Linux. And the T50 doesn't have anything in the UI so I have to rely on after-the-fact reports form AMANDA. Ohh well. You'd think there'd be a SCSI INQUIRY command that could be sent or something.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar AT cs.earlham DOT edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler