Amanda-Users

Re: configuring the Solaris 'sgen' driver to bind to L9 changer device

2006-09-18 01:31:52
Subject: Re: configuring the Solaris 'sgen' driver to bind to L9 changer device
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 23:55:29 -0400
On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 11:48:28AM +1000, Craig Dewick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got Amanda happily seeing the tape drive itself in the L9, but not
> the robotics controller. The L9 is attached to an Sbus 'isp' SCSI card in
> the Sparc 20 and it's configured into amanda.conf using the
> '/dev/rmt/0lbn' device node (the kernels picks it up as 'st15' during a
> reconfiguration boot), and the issue at the moment is working out what is
> the correct 'class' string to get the 'sgen' driver to recognise and bind
> to the robotics controller.
>
> I've tried using 'QLGC,isp' and just plain 'isp'. The robotics controller
> is SCSI ID # 0 going on what the unit's admin screen tells me. There are
> two ISP cards in the machine - one LVD/SE card connecting to a Sun hard
> disk array, and the diff scsi one going to the L9.
>
> Any idea on what the correct 'class' string for the sgen.conf file should
> be?

I've not seen any entry for 'class' except "scsi" as in the following:

  name="sgen" class="scsi" target=5 lun=0;
  name="sgen" class="scsi" target=5 lun=1;
  name="sgen" class="scsi" target=5 lun=2;
  name="sgen" class="scsi" target=5 lun=3;

Until you are sure you got the right entry(s) to be scanned at boot,
you might want to have all targets (0-15).  And at least luns 0&1
as some libraries use the same scsi id (target) but different luns
for the drive(s) and the changer.

Hmm, No need for me to leave these uncommented, the tape unit is
no longer on this host.  And luns 2&3 were never needed :(

I don't see why the identity of the scsi controller is needed.
I've never seen any reference to adaptec, qlogic, etc in the man pages.

Perhaps you are thinking of the device-type or inquiry strings?

The device-type should be "changer" and the inquiry strings match
what is seen at boot time when the device reports its identity.
You can see that in prtconf or dmesg output.

My sgen.conf entry for an HP DDS-3 changer is as follows.

  device-type-config-list="changer";
  inquiry-config-list=    "HP",   "HP DDS-3 4mm DAT loader",
                          "HP",   "C1557A";

Together the entries I use say at boot scan only scsi id 5, luns 0-3.
If any return an inquiry string of an HP C1557A, specifically a type
changer, then create a /dev(/scsi) entry for it.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)