Amanda-Users

Re: Directory too large for single tape.

2006-09-13 15:10:09
Subject: Re: Directory too large for single tape.
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:50:05 -0400
On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 07:07:52AM -0700, Stephen Carville wrote:
> Jon LaBadie wrote:
> >On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 10:48:08PM -0700, Stephen Carville wrote:
> >
> >>I've been using Amanda for about five years now.  The only problems I've
> >>ever had are because a single dumps has to fit on a single tape.  I
> >>usually solved this by using tar, client side compression, and breaking
> >>up the partitions into smaller chunks.  However, I seem to have reached
> >>a limit.
> >>
> >>One of my Oracle RMAN backups now stands at 109G.  Even with compression
> >>this requires 44G to 45G of space and will not fit on an AIT-2 tape.
> >>The backups are dumped into a single directory and I don't know of any
> >>way to split a directory with no subdirectories into two dumps.  If
> >>there is, I'd appreciate knowing how.  Any other sugesstions are welcome.
> >

> >Stephen,
> >what are we talking about in terms of files in a single directory
> >that total nearly 110GB?  Is it one or two huge files?  A hundred,
> >maybe a thousand, or more?  What are the naming schemes?  Always
> >the same or always predictable?  Are there name extensions for
> >file types?  If the numbers are reasonable you could create a
> >set of DLEs using include statements and a catch-all using
> >exclude statements.
> >
> >For example, (assumptions include reasonable number of files,
> >say < 1000 but I'm not certain what is reasonable, most with names
> >beginning with lowercase letters but a few with digits or uppercase
> >and an ascii charset :)
> >
> >  host Ora-a2g /path/to/RMAN/backup/dir {
> >     your_current_dumptype
> >     include file ./[a-g]*
> >  }
> >  host Ora-h2s /path/to/RMAN/backup/dir {
> >     your_current_dumptype
> >     include file ./[h-s]*
> >  }
> >  host Ora-t2z /path/to/RMAN/backup/dir {
> >     your_current_dumptype
> >     include file ./[t-z]*
> >  }
> >  host Ora-rest /path/to/RMAN/backup/dir {
> >     your_current_dumptype
> >     exclude file ./[a-z]*
> >  }
> >

> All of the filenames end with a digit so something like this might work:
>
> host Ora1 /path/to/RMAN/backup/dir {
>       your_current_dumptype
>       include file ./*[0,2,4,6,8]
> }
>
> host Ora2 /path/to/RMAN/backup/dir {
>       your_current_dumptype
>       include file ./*[1,3,5,7,9]
> }

Well, that first one says you want to backup files whose
names end in even digits OR comma.  Probably not what you
mean.  Drop the commas.

And be sure to also include a third, catchall DLE that
does an exclude file ./*[0-9].

OH, I made the error of forgetting double quotes around
each of the include/exclude file patterns   "./*[02468]"

> Do the hostnames have to be different or was that just for illutration?

I didn't have different hostnames.  Each one simply said "host".
What you probably are refering to is the DLE_Name.

The start of a disklist entry can have two forms:

   HostName  DLE_Name
   HostName  DLE_Name  PathToStartingDirectory

The PathTo... may also be a device name for mounted filesystems
listed in /etc/{v}fstab.

If the first form is used, the DLE_Name must take the form of a
pathname because it is also the PathTo...

With either form, an amanda requirement is that the combination
Hostname:DLE_Name must be unique in your disklist.  Because of
this requirement, if you have more than one DLE starting at the
same directory, you must use the second form and have different
DLE_Names for each DLE with the same starting directory.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)