Amanda-Users

Re: Directory too large for single tape.

2006-09-13 10:10:37
Subject: Re: Directory too large for single tape.
From: Stephen Carville <carville AT cpl DOT net>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 06:59:06 -0700
Ian Turner wrote:
On Monday 11 September 2006 01:48, Stephen Carville wrote:

I've been using Amanda for about five years now.  The only problems I've
ever had are because a single dumps has to fit on a single tape.

If you upgrade to Amanda 2.5.x, then you can instruct Amanda to split dumps across tapes; so you can make your partitions as large as you like, and just use as many tapes as are required.

AFAICT, this doesn't really split the tar but tries to create separate tars of subdirectories. Unfortunately RMAN puts it all in one directory (There may be a way to split it -- I'm checking into that too).

Is it possible to get amanda to follow symlinks? Every file name ends in a digit is it is trivial to do something like:

rm /empty/GIS1/*

find /NFS/euphrates_backup/GIS -name '*[1,3,5,7,9]' -exec ln -sf {} /empty/GIS1/ \;

rm /empty/GIS2/*

find /NFS/euphrates_backup/GIS -name '*[0,2,4,6,8]' -exec ln -sf {} /empty/GIS2/ \;

Then backup GIS1 and GIS2 as separate volumes.

Would it be better to try this trick with hard links? RMAN needs to be able to delete uneeded files after each run.

The tricky part of this path is that if you have a single large filesystem (and a few smaller ones), the single large one will dominate your tape usage, resulting in an unbalanced backup window.

Cheers,

--Ian

--
Stephen Carville -- polluting the ranks of skeptics since 1995.
As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.