Amanda-Users

Re: Directory too large for single tape.

2006-09-11 10:54:15
Subject: Re: Directory too large for single tape.
From: Ian Turner <ian AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Stephen Carville <carville AT cpl DOT net>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:45:55 -0400
On Monday 11 September 2006 01:48, Stephen Carville wrote:
> I've been using Amanda for about five years now.  The only problems I've
> ever had are because a single dumps has to fit on a single tape.

If you upgrade to Amanda 2.5.x, then you can instruct Amanda to split dumps
across tapes; so you can make your partitions as large as you like, and just
use as many tapes as are required.

The tricky part of this path is that if you have a single large filesystem
(and a few smaller ones), the single large one will dominate your tape usage,
resulting in an unbalanced backup window.

Cheers,

--Ian
--
Forums for Amanda discussion: http://forums.zmanda.com/