Amanda-Users

Re: Why didn't my backup work (the way I thought it should)?

2006-09-13 15:12:49
Subject: Re: Why didn't my backup work (the way I thought it should)?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:02:41 -0400
On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 02:47:26PM -0400, Zembower, Kevin wrote:
> Frank and Alex, thanks for replying. Alex, you're right, I believe,
> GNUtar behaves differently than tar with respect to symbolic links, and
> I'm using GNUtar:
> amanda@cn2:/var/lib$ tar --version
> tar (GNU tar) 1.14

Likely unrelated to your current difficulties,
but plain 1.14 gnutar has be reported to have
difficulties with amanda.  I haven't followed
the discussion closely, but I think 1.14.1 and
1.14.2 are both considered ok.  A complicating
factor is the report that some linux vendors,
I think RH was mentioned, supply a 1.14 with
the later bug fix patches applied.  These work
ok also but because they are based on the 1.14
code, that is the version reported.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)