Amanda-Users

RE: Amanda Server on Cygwin amdump not working :-S

2006-08-22 03:30:29
Subject: RE: Amanda Server on Cygwin amdump not working :-S
From: David Sánchez Martín <dsanchez AT e2000 DOT es>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 09:17:49 +0200

>The other thing I question is whether changes to the amanda code for cygwin
has ever been extended to include the server pieces.
>The primary developer of those changes ?Doug Kingston?, was only intent on
getting an amanda cygwin client, not a server.  I do not recall seeing
> any reports of an amanda cygwin server.
>
>Some of the necessary changes could include the test for "root".
>If the code doesn't test for root by name, but instead by uid, then the
numerical test is often something like:

>   if ( getuid() != 0 ) error
>
>and as unix's root has a uid of 0, this can be simplified to:
>
>   if ( getuid() )      error
>
>Both would fail if root == SYSTEM, ie uid 18.
>
>This is typical of changes needed for amanda cygwin clients and may not
have been extended to the server code as that was not Doug's purpose.

Well i have "fooled" amcheck into thinking he is uid 0 (changing /etc/passwd
uid field for user Administrator) and no more setuid-root messages are shown
(so, your getuid and server parts not patched related guess appears to be
extremely true :-), but taper behaves (as expected) exactly the same way as
it did:

  driver: FATAL reading result from taper: Software caused connection abort

As stated below amtape and amlabel work fine, so IMHO this shouldn't be a
permissions problem.

¿ There's some way to get a more verbose "why" from "taper" or "driver"?

>BTW have you tried accessing your tape drive with other amanda and/or
cygwin commands?  Can you tar directly to and from your tapedrive without
amanda?

I do not use a real tapedrive/robot with amanda, and I doubt cygwin has the
ability to access directly to the devices (there's no /dev fs anyway)

>Can amtape and amlabel access your drive and changer script?

Yep, I have used amlabel for label perfectly the virtual (on disk) tapes and
amtape seems to work perfectly.

I have followed the procedure on
http://www.servitux.org/view.php/page/amanda (in Spanish sorry, but conf
files and commands are understable ;-)