Amanda-Users

RE: Amanda Server on Cygwin amdump not working :-S

2006-08-21 07:00:30
Subject: RE: Amanda Server on Cygwin amdump not working :-S
From: David Sánchez Martín <dsanchez AT e2000 DOT es>
To: "'Paul Bijnens'" <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:47:24 +0200

>>> I doubt it works when not setuid-root Strange this is a just a
>>> warning instead of an error...
>>>
>>> Did you do "make install" as root?
>>> (If that makes sense in a cygwin environment :-) )
>>

>> I created an windows user called root for this.
>>
>> The programs on cygwin shell seem correctly setuid to root (the user
>> i've created).
>>
>> Maybe is a permissions problem but i tried to change owner to SYSTEM
>> (Windows best equivalent to God... err ... root, i mean :-)
>
>>I'm not a cygwin user, but "root" is not just an ordinary user in Unix.
>>It is a user with special privileges.  You need to have those privileges
to be able to do certain things that Amanda relies on:  like opening ports >
>1024, etc.  It MUST be useruid number 0 in normal Unix environments too
(and I'm sure lots of program break when that is not the case).

>>Is there no equivalent thing user in cygwin?

Nope, AFAIK.

The Windows equivalent is normally "Administrator" or in some special cases
SYSTEM (this has ALL the powers posible).

But there's no difference running as Administrator (as i do normally) or
SYSTEM :(

Administrator has usually the necesary permissions to do anything (SYSTEM is
used in some especific situations)

>> With no visible difference (I tried SYSTEM, Administrator and root,
>> all of which are in Administrators group)
>>
>> IMHO the problem seems to be on the taper/driver FATAL reading result
>> from
>> taper: Software caused connection abort
> Taper quit, because it is not setuid root.  That's why.

Administrator@DELL6R6Q61J /usr/local/libexec
$ ls -al taper
-rwsr-sr-x 1 root None 577611 Aug 18 10:19 taper

Administrator@DELL6R6Q61J /usr/local/libexec
$

Tried with SYSTEM and Administrator as owner but no change.

If there's no reason appart from taper thinking it has no enough privileges:

Is there some way to fool/convince taper is running suid-root ?

If there's a subtle need that taper needs to fulfill to run properly:

2.- Can I have a more verbose taper information, so i can get a workaround
or?

Thanks again :-)