Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Server on Cygwin amdump not working :-S

2006-08-21 06:56:26
Subject: Re: Amanda Server on Cygwin amdump not working :-S
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:50:34 +0200 (CEST)
On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> On 2006-08-21 11:23, David S�nchez Mart�n wrote:
> > The programs on cygwin shell seem correctly setuid to root (the user i've
> > created).
> >
> > Maybe is a permissions problem but i tried to change owner to SYSTEM
> > (Windows best equivalent to God... err ... root, i mean :-)
>
> I'm not a cygwin user, but "root" is not just an ordinary user in Unix.
> It is a user with special privileges.  You need to have those privileges
> to be able to do certain things that Amanda relies on:  like opening ports <
> 1024, etc.  It MUST be useruid number 0 in normal Unix environments too (and
> I'm sure lots of program break when that is not
> the case).
>
> Is there no equivalent thing user in cygwin?

I'm far from a Windows expert (I try to stay away from it as far as possible
:-), but on Cygwin you can run e.g. sshd on port 22 as an ordinary user.
So I guess amandad won't be a problem neither.

How the setuid tar wrapper should behave is a different question. I missed `cu'
on Cygwin so I compiled it myself, but it needed to be setuid too and according
to our sysadmin that feature didn't exist on Windows.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds