Amanda-Users

Re: restoring from DVDs

2006-08-06 17:16:13
Subject: Re: restoring from DVDs
From: Laurence Darby <ldarby AT tuffmail DOT com>
To: Ross Vandegrift <ross AT kallisti DOT us>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 20:11:41 +0100
Ross Vandegrift wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 03:13:39PM +0100, Laurence Darby wrote:
> > This is besides the point, but that wont work, and I'm not sure if
> > you completely understand the situation. I *DON'T* want data to be
> > recovered from the drive, and because I'm returning it under
> > warranty, I want the data on it to be destroyed.
>
> Aha!  I did misunderstand.
>
> You shouldn't worry about this - the manufacturers are bound by
> process requirements that prevent them from recovering data on RMAed
> drives.

That's nice to know.  I'm slowly realizing I'm not the first to have
this problem... I had a look at thier (Maxtor's) website but found
conflicting answers:

"Failed drive teardown and rebuild involves automated re-process which
also includes Zero fill pattern, and write verify."

ok, but then:

"As a returning defective drive, if the drive is not in a functional
state capable of a low-level format, the drive is disassembled and the
platters (where the data is stored) are recycled. Once a platter is
removed from the spindle of a hard drive, the data is no longer
readable by any means."

What do they mean by recycled?  Doesn't the next sentence (which I
don't believe) contradict any notion of recycling?

Anyway, I'll try phoning them tommorow to ask about it.

Laurence