Amanda-Users

Re: restoring from DVDs

2006-08-06 17:00:37
Subject: Re: restoring from DVDs
From: Laurence Darby <ldarby AT tuffmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 21:26:03 +0100
Jon LaBadie wrote:

> I wonder about returning it under warranty.
> If the data has sufficient sensitivity, it might be easiest
> to eat the cost of a new replacement drive.  The net-cost
> would be reduced by the time spent trying to destroy the data.

I'm trying to get the warranty replacement purely out of the principle
of it :)  I've reviewed the stuff I've restored, and there's nothing
critical, and I always made a point of removing my credit card details
from places like Dabs.com and paypal that hold on to them.

> If you do retain it, are there mechanical shredders that would
> chew up a disk drive?  Yeah, I know there are, just are they
> easily and cost effective to consider.

If I was going to forfeit the cost (or it didn't have a warranty), I'd
have no hesitation in taking it apart and destroying it completely
myself :)  The strong magnets in them are always useful.

Anyway, it's taken me a while to fully recover, I hadn't backed
up /usr/lib which had a bunch of dependencies I had to redownload. I
was not sure if I was still affected by the problem I mentioned a while
ago, where some data was missing from the backup. All the DVD's, execpt
the first of each dump, seemed to be missing 32KiB missing from the
end, and tar was giving the message:

"tar: skipping to next header"

>From that I expected one corrupt file per DVD, but it turned out only
one file in total was corrupt, which didn't happen to be an important
one. I really should investigate that, but its kind of low priority at
the moment, maybe will do the next time I backup, which should be soon.

Laurence