Amanda-Users

Re: Incorrect bahaviour causes backup loss !!

2006-07-27 12:47:53
Subject: Re: Incorrect bahaviour causes backup loss !!
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:40:14 -0400
On Thursday 27 July 2006 12:13, Alan Pearson wrote:
>> It sounds like you don't have enough tapes in your rotation.  You
>> probably want to look into adding more.
>
>I expected this to be the answer, but the situation can still happen.
>
>> Also, amcheck will alert you to this problem before you amdump.  If
>> you choose to ignore the warning...
>
>There was no warning, because the filesystem grew in between the check
> and the dump.

And that has nothing to do with this instant problem.  The instant problem
is that you don't have enough tapes in your tapecycle, so you never have a
2nd or 3rd generation backup.  At the price of dds tapes, thats being
rather penny wise and pound foolish.   And, having rather extensive
personal experience with dds tapes, my backups got about 100 times more
dependable when I bought a big hard drive and changed to vtapes 2 years
ago.

Please don't go around bad-mouthing amanda when the real constraint is the
operating environment, one that would cripple any backup protocol.

>--
>AlanP

message by Gene Heskett are: