Amanda-Users

Re: Incorrect bahaviour causes backup loss !!

2006-07-27 17:38:55
Subject: Re: Incorrect bahaviour causes backup loss !!
From: "Alan Pearson" <alandpearson AT yahoo DOT com>
To: "Mitch Collinsworth" <mitch AT ccmr.cornell DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 22:30:13 +0100 (BST)
Mitch Collinsworth wrote:
> Well let's consider your options...  If the next tape in sequence has a
> dump you don't want overwritten, then you need to pull it out of the
> sequence and put it in a drawer somewhere to keep it safe.

If I had been warned, yes possible. But it was never indicated this was
going to happen by amreport or amdump. Also, if the emails weren't been
monitored or fully read / understood for a few days then it could take a
while to detect the problem.

A previous piece of software I used, ejected the tape if the backup was
ok, kept it in the drive if not. Simple but effective warning.

But hey, I'm not expecting Amanda to cope when people don't read her
screams !
Fact is though, she didn't warn me, and proceeded to destroy the backup.

In this case, as pointed out, I believe the default Amanda behaviour
should be 'do no damage', but as I've found opinions vary !

--
AlanP