Amanda-Users

Re: backing up to DVD-Rs

2006-07-23 15:20:06
Subject: Re: backing up to DVD-Rs
From: Laurence Darby <ldarby AT tuffmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:11:02 +0100
Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 July 2006 15:07, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 10:29:14AM +0100, Laurence Darby wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but I
> > > couldn't see it in the Faq-O-Matic.
> > >
> > > Bascially I have a 30GB directory (/home) and 50 4.7GB DVD-Rs.
> > > Is there any support in Amanda for backing up to DVD-Rs?
> > > Actually, the only thing I'm looking for is the capability to
> > > divide the 30GB into 4.7GB chunks, or slightly smaller to fit on
> > > a 4.7GB ext2 loopback file which can be burned to DVD.
> > >
> > > I tried using 'tar --multi-volume', which sort of does what I
> > > want, but it's interactive, not compressed, and difficult to
> > > manage indexes.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Laurence
> > >
> > > PS: The silly thing is, (and not "ironic" before anyone thinks it
> > > is, because it is not), I maintain a Veritas NetBackup Enterprise
> > > solution at work, but I have absolutely _zero_ chance of taking
> > > my HD's in and backing up there...
> >
> > Not direct to DVD, but perhaps a with 2 step process.
> > I believe at least one poster to the list, ?Anne Wilson?,
> > may be using such a setup.  Perhaps she/they will comment.
> >
> Yes, indeed, although I have to admit I've not done as much testing
> of restores yet, as I should have done.  Nor have I yet added
> networked backups.

Thanks everyone for your help, especially you Anne, as I based my
setup on what you've done.  I'm sorry it's taken so long, but there's a
lot of stuff to know, and the documentation isn't exactly in the same
league as NetBackup's...

I set the disk length to 4400 MiB, since the ext2 fs has 4412MiB free.
(btw, I get really cranky about people using M to mean 1048576, it's
the same badness as trying to define PI to be 3.0)

With the dumptype, I tried to give a tape_splitsize of 4400MiB so one
whole chunk would fit, but that seemed to be ignored and it used
fallback_splitsize instead.  I noticed it allocated mememory the size
of fallback_splitsize. I set it to 440, so there'd be exactly 10 per
DVD.

Also, with compression, I found that only got about 10% compression at
the "best" setting, so I switched it off.

define dumptype dump1 {
     compress none
     index yes
     holdingdisk no #use the vtape on disk.
     program "GNUTAR"
     tape_splitsize     4400 Mb
     fallback_splitsize 440 Mb
     dumpcycle 0
     strategy  noinc
}

So with the indexes, in NetBackup they need backing up even more than
all your data, since they are almost critical to accessing any of it.
Is that the case with Amanda?  I just copied them to the end of the last
dvd, where they could be manually put back in /usr/local/etc/ before
trying a restore.

So then, restores! (only using the on-disk vtapes, haven't even tried
reading the dvds yet)  Firstly the readline interface on amrecover
didn't work, which meant it was easier to use a real editor and paste
commands into it.  It is linked to libreadline as ldd shows:
$  ldd /usr/local/sbin/amrecover | grep read
        libreadline.so.5 => /usr/lib/libreadline.so.5 (0xb7e8a000)

Is it normal for it to scan every vtape even after it's extracted the
one test file?  I thought that's what indexes were for.

Then it complains about:

amrecover: Extractor child exited with status 2

extract_list - child returned non-zero status: 1
Continue [?/Y/n/r]? ?
Enter "y"es to continue, "n"o to stop or "r"etry this tape
Continue [?/Y/n/r]?

And doing a full extract gets the same message, and even *LOSSES* about
470 MiB.  Is there any way to find what error tar is complaining
about?  It's gnu tar 1.15.1.  Is it possilbe my dump split sizes
somehow broke amdump?

The size of the vtapes is 8311439625 bytes, with

du --apparent-size -B 1

and the orig directory is 7753562651. The size of the extracted
directory is 7301958942.  With amrecover, 'ls' shows the missing files,
but then it gives the error message:

tar: ./old/src/gcc/gcc-3.4.3-i486-1.tgz: Not found in archive

So, is it possible amrecover is just broken and not seeing files in the
archive?  Or, is amdump broken and it failed to back up some data?  In
that case I think I'll go back to tar --multi-volume...

Laurence