Amanda-Users

Re: backing up to DVD-Rs

2006-07-12 23:47:12
Subject: Re: backing up to DVD-Rs
From: Anne Wilson <cannewilson AT tiscali.co DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:42:30 +0100
On Thursday 13 July 2006 09:20, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 06:31:52PM +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 12 July 2006 18:17, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> > > Make a holding area, and use dump with a tape size of just slightly
> > > less than the DVD-R size.  Tell dump to generate manifests and quick
> > > file access data.
> > >
> > > Then, all you have to do is burn each dump file to a DVD-R in
> > > pre-prepared mode (check man growisofs for details on this) and
> > > burn/store the index/QFA data somewhere.
> >
> > Would you like to amplify this, please?
>
> Sure.  Assume that you've got /dev/sda1 that you'd like to backup and
> you'll store the images in /holding.  Then it goes a little something
> like this:
>
> # cd /holding
> # dump -0uy -A MANIFEST -B 4403200 -Q QFA /dev/sda1 -f
> disc1,disc2,disc3,... ... (wait for dump to dump the filesystem)
> # growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=disc1
> ... (burn all the images)
>
> The dump command generates files named "disc1", "disc2", etc (you may
> need more than three depending on your filesystem), as well as a
> restore index called MANIFEST and quick file access info named QFA.
> You can do an incremental by changing the "-0" to some higher integer.
> You may need to twiddle with -B, the size param.  I don't remember
> exactly how large it can be.
>

> Then, restoring from DVD looks like this:
>
> # cd /destination
> # restore -A MANIFEST -Q QFA -i -f /dev/dvd
> ... (restore as usual, inserting discX when asked for volume X)
>

> That's all there is to my personal backup system.  It has one *major*
> flaw: backups are not automated the way they are with Amanda.  I guess
> if you're burning to DVD, you have to manually interact anyhow.  But
> as a result, I have only ever done two complete backups of my
> system...
>
> On the other hand, I did use such a backup to recover from a
> catastrophic disk crash and it worked very well.

Thanks for the explanation.

The system I'm using does the automatic backup to hard disk, from where I can
record to DVD when convenient.  Slot 14, for instance, has four and a bit
DVDs-worth of Level 0 /home.  I have assumed that I need to burn everything
in Slot 14 to disk, then the Slot 15 and 16 /home incrementals to bring it up
to date.  Is there something else I should be doing?

Anne