Amanda-Users

Re: Backup server disaster recovery

2006-07-24 00:21:17
Subject: Re: Backup server disaster recovery
From: Olivier Nicole <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 10:39:55 +0700 (ICT)
> Dear all,
>
> say your amanda backup server itself dies, and you need to
> reinstall/recreate it from scratch.
>
> You want the new backup server to have available the information needed to
> find and restore data from tapes, i.e. the info you get when running:
> amadmin config find server_name disk
> or like when you restore something from a specific date, when the server
> tells you which tapes you need to do the restore (while using amrecoger).
>
> What do you need to back up on the current backup server to enable you to
> get the new server to this state?

I understand that you are interested in the possibility to reuse the
back-up on tape, not by restoring the amanda server. I assume that
you'd know how to rebuild an Amanda server from scratch, but then
you'd need all the previous tape to be usable (that's how I set-up the
strategy we are currently using).

What we keep up is:

- Amanda index database (from amanda user home directory/Daily-Setxxx)
- Amanda config files (from usuall /usr/local/etc/amanda?)

I do that by:

- rsync'ing the above mentionned directories to another machine
- emailing to Amanda operators the result of amadmin export

See: https://wwws.cs.ait.ac.th/amanda/operator.shtml#database

The command amdatabase is a home coocked script.

Best regards,

Olivier