Amanda-Users

Re: backing up to DVD-Rs

2006-07-12 10:15:18
Subject: Re: backing up to DVD-Rs
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:07:35 -0400
On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 10:29:14AM +0100, Laurence Darby wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but I couldn't
> see it in the Faq-O-Matic.
>
> Bascially I have a 30GB directory (/home) and 50 4.7GB DVD-Rs.  Is there
> any support in Amanda for backing up to DVD-Rs?   Actually, the only
> thing I'm looking for is the capability to divide the 30GB into 4.7GB
> chunks, or slightly smaller to fit on a 4.7GB ext2 loopback file which
> can be burned to DVD.
>
> I tried using 'tar --multi-volume', which sort of does what I want,
> but it's interactive, not compressed, and difficult to manage indexes.
>
> Thanks,
> Laurence
>
> PS: The silly thing is, (and not "ironic" before anyone thinks it is,
> because it is not), I maintain a Veritas NetBackup Enterprise solution
> at work, but I have absolutely _zero_ chance of taking my HD's in and
> backing up there...

Not direct to DVD, but perhaps a with 2 step process.
I believe at least one poster to the list, ?Anne Wilson?,
may be using such a setup.  Perhaps she/they will comment.

Amanda has the ability to use a hard disk as a "virtual tape"
using the "File:Driver".  The vtapes (as opposed to ptapes :)
are headed by a single directory.  A collection of these
can be thought of as "slots" in a changer and rotated
through automatically using a changer script just like a
a physical changer.

You must specify a size for your vtapes, thus if you specify
something slightly less than your recordable size, you can
then transfer an entire vtape to a corresponding dvd.

As you seem to be talking about backing up a single directory
tree (/home), I would suggest that you read more about amanda's
unique scheduling of dumps and dump levels.  Combined with
amanda's refusal to append dumps to an active tape will be
different than your NetBackup experience.  It may influence
your choice of backup solutions.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)