Amanda-Users

backing up to DVD-Rs

2006-07-12 05:35:37
Subject: backing up to DVD-Rs
From: Laurence Darby <ldarby AT tuffmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:29:14 +0100
Hi,

I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but I couldn't
see it in the Faq-O-Matic.

Bascially I have a 30GB directory (/home) and 50 4.7GB DVD-Rs.  Is there
any support in Amanda for backing up to DVD-Rs?   Actually, the only
thing I'm looking for is the capability to divide the 30GB into 4.7GB
chunks, or slightly smaller to fit on a 4.7GB ext2 loopback file which
can be burned to DVD.

I tried using 'tar --multi-volume', which sort of does what I want,
but it's interactive, not compressed, and difficult to manage indexes.

Thanks,
Laurence

PS: The silly thing is, (and not "ironic" before anyone thinks it is,
because it is not), I maintain a Veritas NetBackup Enterprise solution
at work, but I have absolutely _zero_ chance of taking my HD's in and
backing up there...