Amanda-Users

Re: backing up to DVD-Rs

2006-07-12 10:43:21
Subject: Re: backing up to DVD-Rs
From: Anne Wilson <cannewilson AT tiscali.co DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 15:37:43 +0100
On Wednesday 12 July 2006 15:07, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 10:29:14AM +0100, Laurence Darby wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but I couldn't
> > see it in the Faq-O-Matic.
> >
> > Bascially I have a 30GB directory (/home) and 50 4.7GB DVD-Rs.  Is there
> > any support in Amanda for backing up to DVD-Rs?   Actually, the only
> > thing I'm looking for is the capability to divide the 30GB into 4.7GB
> > chunks, or slightly smaller to fit on a 4.7GB ext2 loopback file which
> > can be burned to DVD.
> >
> > I tried using 'tar --multi-volume', which sort of does what I want,
> > but it's interactive, not compressed, and difficult to manage indexes.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Laurence
> >
> > PS: The silly thing is, (and not "ironic" before anyone thinks it is,
> > because it is not), I maintain a Veritas NetBackup Enterprise solution
> > at work, but I have absolutely _zero_ chance of taking my HD's in and
> > backing up there...
>
> Not direct to DVD, but perhaps a with 2 step process.
> I believe at least one poster to the list, ?Anne Wilson?,
> may be using such a setup.  Perhaps she/they will comment.

Yes, indeed, although I have to admit I've not done as much testing of
restores yet, as I should have done.  Nor have I yet added networked backups.

> Amanda has the ability to use a hard disk as a "virtual tape"
> using the "File:Driver".  The vtapes (as opposed to ptapes :)
> are headed by a single directory.  A collection of these
> can be thought of as "slots" in a changer and rotated
> through automatically using a changer script just like a
> a physical changer.
>
> You must specify a size for your vtapes, thus if you specify
> something slightly less than your recordable size, you can
> then transfer an entire vtape to a corresponding dvd.

I created a set of 21 vtapes.  I created one tapetype, HARD-DISK based on what
I had read:
define tapetype HARD-DISK {
        comment "WD 120GB drive hdb6"
        lbl-templ "/usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/3hole.ps"
#       length 4100 mbytes # will burn to DVD
}

but then, amongst the documentation somewhere I came across these examples,
too:

define tapetype CD650 {
        comment "CD-R 650MB sized vtape"
        length 681984000 bytes
        filemark 4 Kbytes
}

define tapetype CD700 {
        comment "CD-R 700MB sized vtape"
        length 737280000 bytes
        filemark 4 Kbytes
}

define tapetype DVD47 {
        comment "A 4.7 Gbyte DVD-Sized vtape"
        length 4000 mbytes
        filemark 4 Kbytes
}

define tapetype DVD85 {
        comment "A 8.5 GB DVD double layer"
        length 8000 mbytes #approximately - exact value not found
        filemark 4 Kbytes
}

My dumptype settings are:

define dumptype global {
    comment "Global definitions"
    index yes
    # record no
    tape_splitsize      400 Mb
#   split_diskbuffer    "/tmp/dumps"
    fallback_splitsize  100m
    maxpromoteday       1
}

define dumptype root-tar {
  global
  program "GNUTAR"
}

define dumptype user-tar-span {
  root-tar
  tape_splitsize 400Mb
  comment "tape-spanning user partitions dumped with tar"

I back up three distinct areas, two of which are graphic and audio, so they
are backed up without compression.  The third area is /home, and a Level 0 of
that does require spanning.  The backup is broken down, and the vtapes can be
burned to DVD.

As I said, I'm pretty new to this, and no kind of expert, but if you want any
more info, please ask.

Anne