Amanda-Users

Re: Problems using amanda to backup SMB shares

2006-07-12 14:53:14
Subject: Re: Problems using amanda to backup SMB shares
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:49:06 -0400
On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 09:31:09AM -0500, Michael D Schleif wrote:
> * Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> [2006:07:12:00:09:07-0400] scribed:
> <snip />
>
> > When asked to, and if run by root, they record the date and
> > time and level of the dumps in a file /etc/dumpdates.  This
> > file then can be used by dump in the future to decide what
> > needs backing up at various dump levels.
> >
> > Tar does not have this built-in, so amanda mimics it in
> > /etc/amandates.
>
> My point is, on _my_ amanda server, that files does NOT exist:
>
>     # sudo ls /etc/ama*
>     Password:
>     /etc/amandahosts  /etc/amandapass
>
>     /etc/amanda:
>     DailySet1  crontab.amanda
>

> What am I missing?

On each client that is using tar for dumping you need
/etc/amandadates, owned by client's "amandauser/group",
rw by user&group

If your server is also a client, then you need that file.

amandahosts should be ".amandahosts" and it should not
be in /etc, but in the home directory of amandauser.

BTW in your line:

>     # sudo ls /etc/ama*

Do you really need to sudo to execute ls on the /etc dir?
Particularly if you are already running as root ('# ' prompt).

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)