Amanda-Users

Re: Problems using amanda to backup SMB shares

2006-07-11 11:55:37
Subject: Re: Problems using amanda to backup SMB shares
From: Pavel Pragin <ppragin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Nathan Weston <nathan AT genarts DOT com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 08:46:12 -0700
Example configuration (all of the files below need to be owned by user "amanda"):

The AMANDA client software and Samba is installed on host "amanda_server_host". A share to be backed up called "share" is on PC "my-laptop". The share will be accessed via PC user "testing" and password "testing" and using a workgroup "workgroup".

1. The entry in the file disklist is:

amanda_server_host     //my-laptop/share   comp-user-tar

2. In /etc/amandapass (chmod this file to "700" ) on the machine 'amanda_server_host':

//my-laptop/share testing%testing workgroup

3. /etc/amandates needs to be owned by the "amanda" user and group "disk" and
have the permissions below:

-rw-r-----   1 amanda disk      35 Jul  8 19:01 amandates

4. run amcheck again and post the results

Pavel Pragin

Nathan Weston wrote:

I'm a first-time amanda user, trying to backup a linux machine and a few windows shares. I went through the tutorial at amanda.zmanda.com/quick-backup-setup.html, modifying things to fit my setup. The linux machine seems to be ok, but I'm getting some errors with the SMB share.

The windows machine in question is lens, and the backup server is penguin2. On penguin2, I have a disklist entry like this:

penguin2.genartsi.com   //lens/c        comp-user-tar

When I run amcheck, I get the following errors:

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
ERROR: penguin2.genartsi.com: [samba access error: //lens/c: Error connecting to 192.168.0.43 (Permission denied): Connection to lens failed: returned 1] ERROR: penguin2.genartsi.com: [can not read/write /etc/amandates: Permission denied]
Client check: 2 hosts checked in 0.136 seconds, 2 problems found

Looking in selfcheck.debug, I see that it's running smbclient like this:
smbclient \\lens\c -U amanda -E -c quit

When I run the same command manually, it prompts for a password, and when I enter that it connects fine. But I don't see how amanda is giving this password to smbclient (since it obviously can't prompt for it). Maybe that's the problem?

As for the second problem, I don't see anything in the .debug files that gives me a clue. The permissions for /etc/amandates look like this:
-rw-r-----  1 amandabackup disk 0 Jul 10 17:20 /etc/amandates

Any ideas?
Thanks.