Amanda-Users

Re: Problems using amanda to backup SMB shares

2006-07-12 00:14:45
Subject: Re: Problems using amanda to backup SMB shares
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 00:09:07 -0400
On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 12:57:42PM -0500, Michael D Schleif wrote:
> * Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> [2006:07:11:11:59:30-0400] scribed:
> > On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 11:30:23AM -0400, Nathan Weston wrote:
> <snip />
>
> > > As for the second problem, I don't see anything in the .debug files that
> > > gives me a clue. The permissions for /etc/amandates look like this:
> > > -rw-r-----  1 amandabackup disk 0 Jul 10 17:20 /etc/amandates
> >
> > My pre-built amanda server does use 'amandabackup' and 'disk' as the
> > amanda user and group.  Make sure your's does too and not something
> > like amanda/wheel or some other combo.  My amandates file's permissions
> > are 664, not 640.  If the owner is correct, maybe amanda expects to
> > write to the file via group, not owner permissions.
>
> OK, I give up!
>
> What is /etc/amandates?  I am running 2.5.0p2 ; and I have not found any
> reference to this file ;<

You know what, on a quick search I don't either.
Well, in some source files and changelogs, but ...

You may or may not be familiar with traditional unix backup
facilites, dump and restore and some filesystem specific
variants, like ufsdump/ufsrestore, xfsdump/xfsrestore, etc.

When asked to, and if run by root, they record the date and
time and level of the dumps in a file /etc/dumpdates.  This
file then can be used by dump in the future to decide what
needs backing up at various dump levels.

Tar does not have this built-in, so amanda mimics it in
/etc/amandates.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)