Amanda-Users

Re: Problems using amanda to backup SMB shares

2006-07-11 11:47:56
Subject: Re: Problems using amanda to backup SMB shares
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:42:06 -0400
On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 11:30:23AM -0400, Nathan Weston enlightened us:
> I'm a first-time amanda user, trying to backup a linux machine and a few
> windows shares. I went through the tutorial at
> amanda.zmanda.com/quick-backup-setup.html, modifying things to fit my
> setup. The linux machine seems to be ok, but I'm getting some errors
> with the SMB share.
>
> The windows machine in question is lens, and the backup server is
> penguin2. On penguin2, I have a disklist entry like this:
>
> penguin2.genartsi.com   //lens/c        comp-user-tar
>
> When I run amcheck, I get the following errors:
>
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> ERROR: penguin2.genartsi.com: [samba access error: //lens/c: Error
> connecting to 192.168.0.43 (Permission denied): Connection to lens
> failed: returned 1]
> ERROR: penguin2.genartsi.com: [can not read/write /etc/amandates:
> Permission denied]
> Client check: 2 hosts checked in 0.136 seconds, 2 problems found
>
> Looking in selfcheck.debug, I see that it's running smbclient like this:
> smbclient \\lens\c -U amanda -E -c quit
>
> When I run the same command manually, it prompts for a password, and
> when I enter that it connects fine. But I don't see how amanda is giving
> this password to smbclient (since it obviously can't prompt for it).
> Maybe that's the problem?

Yes, you need to create an /etc/amandapass file with the appropriate
username/password combinations. man amanda for the details.

> As for the second problem, I don't see anything in the .debug files that
> gives me a clue. The permissions for /etc/amandates look like this:
> -rw-r-----  1 amandabackup disk 0 Jul 10 17:20 /etc/amandates
>
> Any ideas?

Is the user you configured amanda as actually "amandabackup" or is it really
just "amanda"?

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak