Amanda-Users

Re: RE Compression usage

2006-07-07 05:09:48
Subject: Re: RE Compression usage
From: "Joe Donner (sent by Nabble.com)" <lists AT nabble DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 01:57:48 -0700 (PDT)
I got these replies by email, which I think clear it up for me.  Still not
sure about whether I can start from scratch by erasing the existing
hardware-compressed tapes, and then issuing mt -f /dev/nst0 defcompression 0
in crontab, but I'm going to try anyway:

Software compression is normally recommended when using amanda as it allows
amanda to better estimate how much will fit on a tape. It's also produces
smaller archives - usually. To turn on and off varies for mt implemention,
but if that's what your manpage says. Also is best to either use it or not.
If you switch over you need to physically label the tape etc otherwise
restores won't be able to read the tape if you got the setting wrong to the
tape...

Martin Hepworth

and

You have to define the dump type to use for compression. If by "switching
between the two" you mean changing the configuration between runs, then yes
you can, it will all still be valid but with different performance.

I use hardware compression on servers where, either, they are busy and can
not additionally do the compression,or they have a very large dump to
perform and compression would cause the backup to continue past the backup
window. (this second option is dependent on your network throughput as it
may actually be faster to compress and send the compressed data)I use
software compression where the machine has plenty of time to do compression
or the backup is small.

On my machine, with DLT8000 the following works
:mt -f /dev/nst0 compression off
mt -f /dev/nst0 compression on

Yes after restarting the tape drive it will revert to its default unless you
use a physical switch to disable it.

If you have the spare processing power then switch off the hardware
compression and you will gain a bit of tape space.The already written tapes
will still be valid backups.

Chris Lee