Amanda-Users

Compression usage

2006-07-04 07:22:27
Subject: Compression usage
From: "Joe Donner (sent by Nabble.com)" <lists AT nabble DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 04:17:46 -0700 (PDT)
Dear all,

I just want to clarify something about compression:

My understanding is that you can use either software or hardware
compression, or can switch between the two if needed.

What is generally, in your experience, the best of the two to use?

To switch off hardware compression, I believe I should use:
mt -f /dev/nst0 compression 0

Does this command switch it off permanently until you use the following?:
mt -f /dev/nst0 compression 1

or will hardware compression switch back on, say, after a reboot?

I've set up Amanda to use compression as follows, and it seems to work quite
well:

define dumptype comp-tar {
        program "GNUTAR"
        compress fast
        index yes
        record yes
}

But it just dawned on me that I haven't taken into account that our HP SDLT
320 tape drive is probably using hardware compression, so now I'm wondering
what's best to do.

Thanks in advance.

Joe