Amanda-Users

Re: RE Compression usage

2006-07-05 09:38:09
Subject: Re: RE Compression usage
From: "Joe Donner (sent by Nabble.com)" <lists AT nabble DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 06:32:59 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks for your reply.

do you mean that I will see the behaviour you're describing only if I'm
reusing tapes with hardware-compressed data?  I only have 3 tapes so far, so
don't mind erasing them.

I find this slightly confusing.  My understanding at this stage is that as
long as I start with "fresh" tapes, and then use mt -f /dev/nst0
defcompression 0 to switch off hardware compression, I should be OK from
then onwards?  Surely the argument about the tape drive switching into
compression mode (when fed a hardware-compressed tape) then also works the
other way round, i.e. when a tape drive has hardware compression enabled,
and is fed a non-hardware compressed tape, then it won't enable hardware
compression?

I see that you're saying use stinit, but I've had a look at that and at this
stage it will only add more complexity to (for me) a rather complex
situation.

If I could get away with erasing 3 tapes, using mt -f /dev/nst0
defcompression 0 (maybe add that into crontab for good measure), and it all
works reasonably well, then I'll be happy for now.

Will appreciate your thoughts and thanks a lot for being so helpful.

Joe