Amanda-Users

LVM snapshots

2006-07-07 05:41:32
Subject: LVM snapshots
From: "Joe Donner (sent by Nabble.com)" <lists AT nabble DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 02:35:23 -0700 (PDT)
Does anyone use or have knowledge of using LVM snapshots with Amanda backups?

I believe it to be the same concept as Shadow Volume Copies in Windows 2003,
and that is quite useful.

A little bit of info here:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/columns/linux/linux-20041013.ars

I'm just wondering what happens during the freeze - how freezing "all
activity to and from the filesystem to reduce the risk of problems" affects
the system?  One would imagine that disk writes are somehow queued up and
complete when the file system is unfreezed again?

Joe