Amanda-Users

Re: Compression usage

2006-07-05 03:28:15
Subject: Re: Compression usage
From: "Nicola Mauri" <Nicola.Mauri AT saga DOT it>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 09:18:10 +0200

> if some of your DLEs contain lots of data that is random
> (compressed iso images, mp3 files, images, zip archives, ...)
> they will expand when taped

So the advantage of using SW compression instead of HW compression is that we can selectively choose on which DLEs compression should be enabled and where it is useless (or even counter-productive). In situations where CPU utilization is not a concern, this may be the preferred approach, as we should expect a better tape space usage.
Is it correct?