Amanda-Users

RE Compression usage

2006-07-04 08:17:07
Subject: RE Compression usage
From: Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
To: Joe Donner <joedonner2001 AT hotmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 14:03:18 +0200

owner-amanda-users AT amanda DOT org a écrit sur 04/07/2006 13:17:46 :

> Dear all,
>
> I just want to clarify something about compression:
>
> My understanding is that you can use either software or hardware
> compression, or can switch between the two if needed.
>
> What is generally, in your experience, the best of the two to use?
>
> To switch off hardware compression, I believe I should use:
> mt -f /dev/nst0 compression 0
>
> Does this command switch it off permanently until you use the following?:
> mt -f /dev/nst0 compression 1
>
> or will hardware compression switch back on, say, after a reboot?

AFAIK, there's another option.

from "mt" man pages:

  defcompression
              (SCSI tapes) Set the default compression  state.  The  value  -1
              disables  the  default compression. The compression state set by
              compression overrides the default until a new tape is  inserted.
              Allowed only for the superuser.

so one should use:

mt -f /dev/nst0 defcompression 0

Cyrille