Amanda-Users

Re: restoring gentoo linux

2006-07-05 09:43:29
Subject: Re: restoring gentoo linux
From: Charles Curley <charlescurley AT charlescurley DOT com>
To: Anthony Worrall <anthony.worrall AT reading.ac DOT uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 07:36:12 -0600
On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 10:27:09AM +0100, Anthony   Worrall wrote:
> Hi
>
> This is not a directly amanda related problem but hopefully someone will
> be able to help.
>

> I have recently had to do a bear metal restore of a gentoo linux box.
> Unfortunately the original machine was not available so I am restoring
> on another box of the same model.
>
> I booted it from a live CD (NST 1.4) repartitioned the disk as indicated
> by the fstab file and restore the data. However when I try to boot the
> machine
> I get the grub error 24 "Attempt to access block outside partition"

After you restored as much as possible, did you then chroot to the root
of the restored system, and in that, run grub-install or the gentoo
equivalent?

Are the two drives of the same geometry? If not, that could be your
problem. With LBA, the geometry shouldn't matter, but it might be
worth checking.

It's a bit late, but you might look at
http://www.charlescurley.com/Linux-Complete-Backup-and-Recovery-HOWTO.html
for ideas (and future procedures).