Amanda-Users

Re: starttime question

2006-05-04 12:00:32
Subject: Re: starttime question
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 10:54:51 -0500
Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 01:43:56AM -0400, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
>> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 11:34:38AM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>>>   Are the estimates for delayed DLEs also delayed?
>>>   Or are they done at the beginning with all other DLEs?
>> I just took a look at the amdump logs for a server with some delayed
>> DLEs.  Estimates are performed along with everything else, and an
>> initial schedule is generated.
>
> Thanks for looking,
>
> I exepected that to be the answer.  I did not see how the planner
> could do its job otherwise.
>
> However I was under the impression that delayed starttime was
> something to recommend for clients that may not be available
> when amdump starts or that couldn't be burdened at that time.
> Yet the estimates are a form of burden too.
>
>> Interestingly, I noticed from reading the logs that estimates take
>> long enough on this server that it just exceeds the starttime.  So in
>> my case, it looks likes the dumps aren't actually delayed (heh, in
>> fact, the delayed dump is third in the schedule of ~200 DLEs).
>>

> Why were you attempting to delay those DLEs?

I don't know his reasons, but another reason for using starttime is
to ensure proper backup of files that are only consistent at a
certain time.  For example, if you start amdump at 9pm in order for
it to be finished by 6am, but a database does a nightly export at
11pm, you could end up with the old export, the new one, or a partial
one depending on when amdump happens to run on that particular client
that night.
   By specifying a starttime for that DLE of 1am, you can ensure that
you always get a complete backup of the current export.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673