Amanda-Users

tape_splitsize and single partitions; is faq answer still right?

2006-05-03 19:52:27
Subject: tape_splitsize and single partitions; is faq answer still right?
From: Steven Sweet <sweet AT sfos.uaf DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 14:52:12 -0800
The FAQ answer for "Can Amanda span large filesystems across multiple tapes" is still "Not Yet". Is this also true for 2.5.0p1?

I know single dumpfile images can now span multiple tapes, and the chunksize parameter will split dumpfiles into multiple pieces smaller than the partitions. But is it correct that all the chunks for a given partition must still be written to the same tape? I can't get Amanda to successfully dump to more than one tape any partition larger than the tape size, even though I can see the individual chunk files on the holding disk.

I'm testing trying to dump a single 25 GB partition to 16 GB tapes. I have my chunksize set 1.6GB and number of tapes per run 2. Amanda still fails with "No space left on device".

Thanks for the help.