Amanda-Users

Re: Change of tape drive unit

2006-04-28 09:57:57
Subject: Re: Change of tape drive unit
From: "Guy Dallaire" <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:53:55 -0400

2006/4/28, Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>:
On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 08:47:13AM -0400, Guy Dallaire wrote:
> 2006/4/28, Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>:
>
> Why don't you `amadmin <conf> no-reuse' all of your old tapes, and label
> > the new ones with a different name, DailySet1-025 ff. for example?  That
> > way, you keep the ability to restore from the old tapes, tape names do
> > not change, and you never have two tapes carrying the same name.  Unless
> > you really want the tapes to be numbered starting from -001.
>

> After "tapecycle" tapes have passed in the rotation, wouldn't the contents
> of the tapes have been are overwritten anyway ? Considering this, I taught I
> might as well relabel them when their time comes around.

How you use the dlt tapes and your needs are certainly specific to your
environment.  These are just suggestions you may not have considered.

Yes, OK thanks for all the suggestions

Actually, I'll keep the DLT tape drive and device names in Linux (and change the config(s) if needed) because I have another amanda archival config that runs once a month and forces level 0 of all DLE's. I keep those monthly backups forever, in addition of my regular rotation of 4 weeks.