Amanda-Users

Re: Change of tape drive unit

2006-04-28 08:51:11
Subject: Re: Change of tape drive unit
From: "Guy Dallaire" <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Alexander Jolk" <alexj AT buf DOT com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 08:47:13 -0400

2006/4/28, Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>:
Guy Dallaire wrote:
> (BTW: for some reason I have to recreate those links at boot time in
> /etc/rc.local because they do not survive a reboot, I don't know why...)

Might this be udev on Linux?

Maybe

Why don't you `amadmin <conf> no-reuse' all of your old tapes, and label
the new ones with a different name, DailySet1-025 ff. for example?  That
way, you keep the ability to restore from the old tapes, tape names do
not change, and you never have two tapes carrying the same name.  Unless
you really want the tapes to be numbered starting from -001.

After "tapecycle" tapes have passed in the rotation, wouldn't the contents of the tapes have been are overwritten anyway ? Considering this, I taught I might as well relabel them when their time comes around.