Amanda-Users

Re: Change of tape drive unit

2006-04-27 14:30:30
Subject: Re: Change of tape drive unit
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 14:27:46 -0400
On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 01:57:39PM -0400, Guy Dallaire wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've received my new LTO tape drive. Moving from a DLT4000 to an LTO-2
> drive. So far, I have added the new tape drive to my linux amanda
> 2.4.5p1server and added symbolic links in /dev like this:
>
> /dev/changer-lto -> /dev/sg1
> /dev/changer-dtl -> /dev/sg3
>
> /dev/tape-dlt -> /dev/nst1
> /dev/tape-lto -> /dev/nst0
>
> (BTW: for some reason I have to recreate those links at boot time in
> /etc/rc.local because they do not survive a reboot, I don't know why...)
>
> As you can see, I'm keeping the old drive for a while, in case I have to
> restore old stuff from old DLT cartridges.
>
> I have created a test config with the new drive devices and did a test run
> dump and restore. Everything is fine.
>
> Now, my old config is using the /dev/tape-dlt and /dev/changer-dlt devices.
> I want to change this to /dev/tape-lto and /dev/changer-lto
>
> I'm wondering what to do with my old DLT cartridges as I progressivly
> replace them with LTO ? I'm planning to do the following, please tell me if
> it's a good idea.
>
> Right now, I'm using tapes labeled DailySet1-001 to DailySet1-024
>
> When amanda asks for a tape or tapes, say DailySet1-009 and DailySet1-010
> (my config is using runtapes=2), I will put a new tape in the LTO drive and
> use amlabel -f to label the tape DailySet1-009 (or the name of the tape
> amanda is asking for) Is this the right thing to do ?

Is there a reason you are wedded to the old config?  With the same config,
index, tapelist, ... as you use the new lto tapes you lose the index and
other info regarding the dlt tapes even though they are still good if you
need to locate data on them.

You could start an entirely new config eg. DailySet2 or DS1 or DS-lto.
You could set up your labelstr template to uniquely note the lto tapes.
You could number the lto tapes in a different range, say 101-124.

Any of the above would preserve your ability to continue to use the dlt
tapes, though without a config you would have to reset the tape devices.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)