Amanda-Users

amanda gtar question

2006-04-28 09:04:36
Subject: amanda gtar question
From: "McGraw, Robert P." <rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 08:49:41 -0400
To try and make my backups smaller I run a perl script that runs goes
through my "users" directory and produces the following lines for each user.
The script then includes these lines in the disklist file. This has been
working great and my backups go rather fast.

The amrecover also works ok, if I needed to restore a file or a directory
for a user.

host  /export/fssnap/users/zhangj     export-users-tar  -1  local
host  /export/fssnap/users/zhangs     export-users-tar  -1  local
host  /export/fssnap/users/zink     export-users-tar  -1  local
host  /export/fssnap/users/zjelonek     export-users-tar  -1  local
host  /export/fssnap/users/zli     export-users-tar  -1  local
host  /export/fssnap/users/zmullero     export-users-tar  -1  local

define dumptype export-users-tar {
    global
    comment "Full Backup of users  using tar"
    program "GNUTAR"
    maxdumps 10
}

But I ran into a major problem when I had to rebuild the entire "users" disk
because of a major crash.

The problem is that the user files in the backup tar file are relative to
/export/fssnap/users/username, which means I need to know and create the
directory name and permissions where the files will be placed on the disk
before I can restore.

I only wanted to make one pass through my backup tapes so I had to create a
script to manually read the first record of the backup tar file to get the
user/directory name, create the directory, cd to the directory and then
manually dd'ed and untared the file to the directory.

What I really need is for the backup tar file to be relative to
/export/fssnap/users.

QUESTION

Is there a way to force the relative path in the amanda tar command?

Thanks

Robert P. McGraw, Jr.
Manager, Computer System                 EMAIL: rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu
Purdue University                         ROOM: MATH-807
Department of Mathematics                PHONE: (765) 494-6055
150 N. University Street                   FAX: (419) 821-0540
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2067