Amanda-Users

Re: new linux client install

2006-04-26 12:02:30
Subject: Re: new linux client install
From: John Clement <j.clement AT readingroom DOT com>
To: sgw AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:58:55 +0100
Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
John Clement schrieb:
Paul Bijnens wrote:
On 2006-04-26 12:03, John Clement wrote:
/, /var, /lib, /var/lib/amanda are all readable.
To be complete, they should also be executable.

Just made that change.
Do you mean that one of the directories were not executable before,
but now is?
Just the file wasn't executable, I didn't think it had to be, but I've
made it so now.
Oh yea, restarting xinetd, probably a good idea!  Output from
amcheck now:

WARNING: murray.deanst.rroom.net: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?

Now it looks like xinetd had some problem with it.
Is there something listening on port 10080/udp?

Is there a debugfile created  (/tmp/amanda/amandad.*.debug)?
What is in it?

Since changing the user in xinetd to 'amandabackup' there haven't
been any debug files. I checked by putting 'amanda' back in there and
restarting xinetd and I did get another debug file, complaining that
access as amandabackup is not allowed from amanad@orinoco.
The user that you put in there must exist in the system (password,
NIS,...).  And the name of that user should be the one that the program
has compiled in.  You find those defaults in the debug
file, which seems to mysteriously disappear...
You cannot make something up.
Checking one of the debug files it was compiled with amandabackup as the
user.
So you put "amanda" in there, and you got a debug file.
What errors did you find in that file?
ERROR access as amandabackup not allowed from amanda@orinoco: cannot
open /var/lib/amanda/.amand
ahosts: Permission denied

You have to have

orinoco amandabackup

in your .amandahosts, btw (apart from the perms-problem).

The server is orinoco? And there Amanda runs as amandabackup?
And tries to contact the client on murray which runs as amandabackup as
well??

OK, I've re-added

orinoco   amandabackup
orinoco.deanst.rroom.net   amandabackup

to the .amandahosts file,

on orinoco (the server) it runs as 'amanda', on the client it runs as 'amandabackup'.
When putting "amandabackup" in the xinetd.conf file, you claim there
are no debug files and you get a selfcheck timeout. Right?
That means to me that "amandabackup" is not a valid user or is not
correctly defined (for xinetd).

I strongly suspect a problem with that user?  Do you have a uid-clash
(two users with different name, but same uid-number)?
Is there a local and a NIS-user that are different?

Having run several times with amanda and amandabackup as the user in
xinetd, its definately not making any debug files in /tmp/amanda when
xinetd's user is set to amandabackup, I've double checked that
amandabackup is a valid user, and that there's no uid clash either.

grep amanda /etc/passwd

Different group-memberships of amanda and amandabackup?

Stefan

amanda and amandabackup are both members of the disk group.

Cheers